NourNews.ir

NewsID : 319329 ‫Saturday‬ 13:20 2026/05/23

Iran rejects US claims over alleged drone attack on UAE nuclear plant

Iran has rejected US allegations linking Tehran to a drone attack on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates, saying that Washington and Israel are the main sources of instability in the region.

In a letter addressed to United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres and the rotating president of the Security Council, Fu Cong, on Friday, Iran’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN, Amir Saeid Iravani, strongly rejected remarks made by the US representative during the Security Council’s May 19 session on the “Situation in the Middle East.”

According to the letter, Iravani said Iran itself had been the victim of attacks by the US and Israel against peaceful nuclear facilities monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

“Any attack or threat against peaceful nuclear facilities constitutes a grave violation of international law, the Charter of the United Nations, and the Statute and resolutions of the IAEA,” he said, adding that Iran has repeatedly warned of the catastrophic humanitarian, environmental, and radiological consequences of such “reckless” and “unlawful” acts.

The Iranian envoy pointed to a contradiction in Washington’s position, saying, “The United States — the only country ever to have used nuclear weapons and itself responsible, together with the Zionist regime, for attacks against safeguarded Iranian nuclear facilities — now claims concern for nuclear safety and security.”

Iravani also stated that the US and Israel pursue destabilizing policies in the region, saying the current situation was directly the result of two illegal wars against Iran.

Defending Tehran’s nuclear program, he said Iran remained committed to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and had accepted one of the IAEA’s most rigorous verification regimes, while continuing to reject unfounded allegations against its peaceful nuclear activities.

The Iranian diplomat further cited Washington’s unilateral withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal in violation of UN Security Council Resolution 2231, the re-imposition of sanctions, and military action against Iran while negotiations were underway as evidence that US commitments could not be trusted.

He called on the UN Security Council to reject political and misleading narratives that divert attention from the real roots of regional instability.

The US and Israel launched a war of aggression against Iran on February 28 with air raids that assassinated senior Iranian officials and commanders and targeted civilian infrastructure, residential areas, educational institutes, nuclear facilities, and historical and cultural sites.

Copyright © 2024 www.NourNews.ir, All rights reserved.